Saturday, March 21, 2015

Painting in One's Own Backyard

Spanish Moss Gracefully Drapes Oak Trees

Yellow Jessamine is Indigenous but Not Harmful


Monet had exclaimed he was "just an eye." But what an eye he had. While it takes practice to see the colors that Impressionists see, it also takes focus to see the beauty around us.

I am fortunate to be surrounded by the beauty of nature. I wonder if I am the only one who sees the beauty in a wildflower, the ruby velvet of a scarlet leaf and the purple shadow there.

It is the unusual beauty, the brilliance of the light, its effect on color I wish you to see. I might say, to you, "See how that shaft of light turns the leaf  a blinding yellow and how the cobalt blue rages underneath."

While I do work from my imagination (I have painted for decades and am able to recall light and color from memory) quite a bit, I am never without a subject as you can see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment