Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Painting in Savannah's Historic District (and some photos)

Savannah, Georgia is one of the most beautiful towns in the US.  The eight squares are flanked by historic homes, restaurants, art galleries, espresso shops, and other quaint venues.  Each square is abloom with azaleas right now and live oaks drip with Spanish moss. Though a parks department maintains each square, residents add their own beautification projects as well.

Yesterday, I painted in Chippewa Square, home to a statue of General James Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia.  From wiki:

"James Edward Oglethorpe (22 December 1696 – 30 June 1785) was a British general, Member of Parliament, philanthropist, and founder of the colony ofGeorgia. As a social reformer, he hoped to resettle Britain's worthy poor in the New World, initially focusing on those in debtors' prisons."

It was not easy deciding where in the Square to set up my French easel.  I began thinking I should just close my eyes, spin around, and point; wherever I stopped would be the magic place.

I finally settled for painting the Gallery Espresso shop.  The red umbrellas drew me.  It was not easy editing the scene before me, to keep it clean and uncomplicated.

The sun kept ducking behind clouds and every time it reappeared there were new colors in the awning of the Espresso shop.  Of course that's my thing...color and light.  No doubt, I was challenged yesterday.

Tourists stopped by to chat with me about my painting and noted I was painting with my fingers.  I spied some taking photos of me as well as filming me.  But I was too focused on my painting to care.

After painting for a few hours, I walked around and snapped some photos.  Some homes have breathtaking courtyards.  One can peek through the iron gates to discover exquisite statuary, ornate pools, and lavish tropical landscaping.


Gallery Espresso at Chippewa Square
11 x 14, acrylic fingerpainting on canvas


Painting in the Square

Courtyard with a beautiful statue

One of many scenes in Chippewa Square

Statue of General James Oglethorpe


No comments:

Post a Comment