Thursday, April 7, 2016

Alizarin Crimson Thou Be Gone

Cloudy Day Roses
6 x 6, oil on linen panel
Private Collection

I am removing alizarin crimson (I actually use the permanent quinacridone alizarin) from my impressionist palette.

I had used alizarin next to orange to create a very bright burnt sienna like color...because alizarin and orange are what I see dancing around. Or did see.

Here in the deep South, I am not finding alizarin taches at all. The colors are more high key. Magentas and bright pyrrole reds are abundant in the shadows of trees. The earth is a bright orange or sparkling bright red (Georgia red clay). The shadows in a red rose are cadmium red deep, magenta and ultramarine or purple, not alizarin.

I generally don't use cadmium reds in mixtures as they result in a purple bruised look. But used as an accent of pure color, they are magnificent.

What about you?  Do you use alizarin?  How so?



No comments:

Post a Comment